Thursday, June 30, 2005

Finally feeling Settled

So I'm finally feeling settled here in Ohio. Still not too keen about the Ohio shoppers, but I don't have the desperate desire to return to my home state. I still miss my family and friends there, but I like the feeling of independence here.

You can't force yourself to like a new place. There may come a time when you will, but it can't be force. You'll probably hate your new surroundings even more it you force it on yourself. I'm learing to take my time and see what Ohio has to offer. The important part is knowing how happy you are. If you're not happy with yourself, you won't be happy any where. Location isn't going to change that.

I have to say, when I first moved up here, there was nothing that I liked. The locals would praise some of the various shops around here. Particularly one bookstore. And I love bookstores. Especially used book stores. I still haven't found a really good used bookstore. I think I'll have to travel a bit for that one. The locals love the bookstore Books and Company. Everyone I talk to has good things to say about it. I'm expecting this wonderful bookstore. In my mind I'm thinking that it's huge and has all sorts of books. Maybe something more from what everyone tells me. All I could say was, "this is it?" I have to say, I was disappointed. I come from a city where the independent bookstore was two stories. The place was huge and wonderful. It didn't have the used books I like to buy, but it had everything else. New books, books signed by the authors, stationary and cards, children's section with tons of books, a cafe where you could have dinner and dessert, magazine section, music section, and plenty of chairs and benches to sit down and read. Special displays were set up for different occassions. I miss the place terribly. Just in case you are curious, it's Joseph - Beth Booksellers. JoeBeth for short. Everyone in town knows about it.

My anxiety about living here has faded. Maybe that was my big problem. There was too much anxiety flowing through my veins. I feel more calm.

My next problem is how to answer my family and friends when they tell me of job openings in my home state. They still want me to return. My answer has always been, "now is not the right time." And it's true. As much as I wanted to stay in my home state, the job opening here felt right. Moving here felt right. I can't explain it accept to say it's instinct. That's the same feeling I have to stay here in Ohio right now.

I hoping to buy a house in the future up here. I'm tired of living in a small apartment. Sometime soon hopefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have thought about moving back to Ohio. I grew up there but left for the military a long time ago. I am divorced now and thinking about going back home.

I like your blog and look forward to reading it more.