Sunday, June 26, 2005

I'm switching to Plastic

I'm going to make everything in my apartment plastic. Yep, it's all going to be plasic. I came in contact with my first termite on Saturday. I had a full body shiver when I was told that it's probably a termite. Aaargh!!! In my apartment. In my bedroom no less!!! Aaargh!!

I'm lounging in my bed, watching my cat look out the window, (Hey, it's better than watching fish.) when I see what looks to be a fly on the window. I'm not bothered by flys. Open the window, let them out. Then I happen to see another fly emerge. From a crack in the window sill. I'm thinking, "where did that one come from?" So I get up to look. There's a big crack (kinda shows that this apartment was "thrown together" rather than correctly built). There are ants crawling around, and these winged insects don't look like flies.

I immediately grab some ant bait, left over from a couple of months ago when I saw ants crawling around my bathroom floor. (I swear I keep this place fairly clean. They're in the walls. I swear it.) Place the bait on the two corners of the window sill and watch them come to the sweet poison. "Die! Die! Die! Take that poison to your queen mother and colony, and Die!" Once upon a time I liked ants, then I turned four years old.

Next I call my sister, or was it my parents.... It was my parents. Told them what looked to be flies, but I knew they weren't. "Seems like you may have termites," they tell me. Aaargh! Knowing that just makes you want to cringe and scratch all over. At least I know for a fact, that it's nothing I did.

Well, I have plans to visit a friend in Kentucky, and I want this taken care of without having to worry about my cat. (There are other things to worry about in regards to my cat when I leave him alone. Like peeing somewhere besides the litter box.) I clean my room of everything. The bed sheets are gone, the clothing, pillows, everything. I know they are more interested in the wood, but I had to get what I could out of there. I kill what ants and termites I can and leave. I know that's not going to take care of the problem, but I can't do anything right now. My only option is to tell the management of the apartment complex.

Nine o'clock finally arrives and I'm off to the apartment complex office. Two girls are working. They must be assistants, because the manager is off working on something else.

"Can I help you with anything?" one girl asks. (She's bound to be early 20's)

"Yes, I want to report there are ants crawling around my bedroom window sill, and possibly termites. I've done what I can now for the ants and laid out bait for them, but I wanted you to know about the termites."

"That's not possible," she tells me.

Not possible my ass. "These things look like flying ants, but I know they aren't. They have thin, long bodies, with wings, and they are flying around."

"They're probably silver fish."

Silver fish my ass. Do you even know what silver fish look like. Those are harmless.
"Listen I'm pretty sure they are termites."

"Well we can't call the exterminator until Monday or Tuesday."

Damn it.

So most of the time I'm in Kentucky, I'm thinking about about these ants and termites having fun in my bedroom. I'm thinking in my head about what I want to say to the manager, "They are a bother to me, but they'll wreck havoc on your apartment complex."

So I come home to see what's happened. I only see one or two ants walking around. That was something I expected. But it definatley wasn't the amount on Saturday. I don't see the termites on my window. In my mind, I know they aren't gone. I soon find a couple walking on the carpet under the window. So what do I do? There's a reason why I've kept old pickle jars. I'm catching them and taking them straight over to the office tomorrow morning.

"They're probably silver fish." Hell no. These are not silver fish. Examine the evidence girls. I've even taken pictures of the cracks on my window sills. I probably should have reported that earlier. Hind sight is 20/20.

Now I can't sleep in my room tonight. I know they aren't interested in me, but in the wood. But, aargh! How can I sleep in there. It's the couch for me tonight.

No comments: