Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Unfortunate Reading

Sometimes I think it's unfortunate that I like to read. I will read almost anything, but I never actually have the time to read everything I want. Lately, most of my reading is in the form of newspapers, news websites, and blogs. I can finish reading articles and blog entries in a short amount of time. There is one flaw... I become soooo frustrated with what I read. Tho not everything. There are some articles and blogs that just crack me up. And for that, I'm greatly thankful.

I previously wrote an entry about celebrities and how I believe they can push their views on other individuals. Well there are probably a million (at least) non-celebrities who do the same thing. And I can't stand to read individuals shout their beliefs to everyone. (Yes, I know. I don't have to read what they write. My fault entirely. That's why I titled this "unfortunate reading.")

Talks on religion bother me the most. And this is coming from a not-so-great-Christian. I'm reading bloggers "shout" at one another on their blogs. Sometimes it's hard to understand emotion in e-mail and blogs, but I've noticed the tone in which blogs and comments are written, and I call it shouting. I just want to roll my eyes, and tell them "you just don't get it." To both sides of the issues. Or many sides. I want to say it to the other Christians, to the Atheists, to the Jewish, to the Muslims, etc.... All of them. Who really listens when someone is shouting religion at you?

I came across a blog where a Christian was providing Bible verse after Bible verse to an Atheist in attempting to explain reasoning for present day events. All I could think was, "the verses are rolling off deaf ears." Basically what I mean is, an Atheist doesn't believe in a god so why would they pay attention to writings from a text divinely written by God? They don't speak the same language. So to speak. And the same thing happens from the standpoint of the Atheist. An Atheist can provide their explainations to events, but they don't see the standpoint of the Christian. Effective communication will not happen until both sides look from the other point of view. You don't have agree with that point of view, but you just have to see what it looks like. Just my two cents.

I've always wanted to know why people believe what they believe. In many aspects of their worldview. Why do people choose to be a Democrat rather than a Republican? Why an Independent? Do you wear socks with your sandles? Why? Do you eat the crust on the bread? Why? Do you believe in love? Why? Why does someone believe in Allah and not God? God and not Allah? Why do I write this blog? Why do I read other blogs when they drive me nuts? Etc.... Some answers are very simple, "because, damn it, I like it." And many times, that works for me. Other times, I have to dig a little deeper.

Remember to take time out from asking yourself these questions, because, well, we all need a break from thinking too much. At least I get tired from thinking on occassion.

Have a good day everyone.

1 comment:

Aimless Chatter said...

No beer here, but there is some good Kentucky bourbon. No replacement for the toy (as of yet).

I'm still formulating my response. A response that doesn't contradict your own thoughts, but it's a mixture of many thoughts going on in my head that may sound off topic. I'll just let it stew in my head.