Friday, January 20, 2006

Celtic Music Expanded

(I know I could have just commented about this in the comment section but, who cares.)

I've been mostly listening to the USA based Celtic group Gaelic Storm. I first heard them at a Celtic Festival in Ohio. The festival had approximately 4-5 tents set up for different Celtic music (bands, groups, you get the idea). There was a huge crowd at the main tent and without really caring about it, my friend and I just walked on. Then the music started and it became standing room only. A good fiesty beat, lyrics I couldn't quite understand, but I couldn't help being surprised that I liked it. Bought their latest CD - How are We Getting Home (next time I'll wait to buy it at a cheaper cost, festival prices are just too high). The first song is titled, "I Miss My Home," which speaks to me whenever homesickness hits me.
Come to find out, this is the group playing in the party scene of the movie Titanic. I had no clue who was playing that scene. Didn't realize that scene seemed to jump them into popularity. I listen to their other CD's but it's this particular one that I enjoy the most.
Enya, well, I do have one of her CD's obtained a few years back but I don't listen to it. It must have been over a year or more. While working at the library I did have the urge to listen to her new CD. Figured she would be cataloged with the other Irish groups, but no, she's listed with the New Age groups. I'm no cataloger, but that was odd. I'm assuming she's not considered Irish in the USA. At least not by library catalogers. (She is Irish. Isn't she?)
I own the CD Water from the Well by The Chieftains. I don't listen to often, but I have it just in case. Also, Crossing the Bridge by Eileen Ivers. Another CD that I haven't listened to in a while, but it's in my collection just in case.
A couple years ago, my friend "provided" me with several Celtic and Scottish CDs. All I have are the titles. I couldn't tell you the authors.
A group that seems to have hit the USA in the past year or so is Celtic Woman. They may have been around longer, but I've just heard about them (yes I know this group consists of more than one singer). I find them very soothing.
That's about all I can tell you. Occassionally I'll grab and Irish CD from the library's music collection and listen, not paying attention to who the group or singer is. Just trying something new.
As for a side note: Occassionally I'll listen to some Irish tunes and can not help but get the feeling I'm back in Kentucky. The traditional music in Kentucky is Bluegrass music. Not to be mistaken as Country music. They are two different styles. Bluegrass incorporates the fiddle, banjos, the harmonica, and homemake musical instruments like the spoons (I'd love to play the spoons correctly). It's only sometimes.

No comments: