Friday, November 25, 2005

Elton John Concert - the Details

Finally - I have the chance to talk about the concert. I have to say, for someone who only knows maybe 1/4 of Sir Johns songlist (maybe not even that much) the concert was enjoyable. He doesn't over do things. He plays his songs, with some videos with a mix of light art involved. Elton talks to the audience but he knows why people come to his shows -- for his music. This guy knows how to create magic on those keys. He does. I was amazed.
The Songlist... (I'm sorry if I forget some, but then I had to ask my friends the titles of most of these)
  • Funeral for a Friend
  • Tiny Dancer
  • Rocket Man (played it for a good 15 - 20 minutes)
  • Crocodile Rock
  • Daniel
  • Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting
  • Bennie and the Jets
  • Don't Let the Sun go Down on Me
  • The Bitch is Back (imagine a full arena shouting "Bitch" with Elton John, with the word up on the big screen - very fabulous)
  • Don't Go Breaking my Heart
  • I Guess that's Why they Call it the Blues
  • Something about the Way you Look Tonight
  • Many songs from a new album.
  • The song he sang with Dolly Parton on the County Music Awards.

My ticket cost $35.00 which put me up in the nose bleed section. But, my seat was near the stage, and I was facing Elton John while he was playing the piano. The seats on the floor were running somewhere around the $100 mark.

I didn't realize how many fans Elton John has. I know he's a musical icon, but I was still amazed. The arena was packed, and his fans are wild. Dancing in the aisle. Bowing to Sir John. And this was all ages. From pre-teens to older adults. They don't know the lyrics to just one song, they know them all. To tell you the truth, I was very happy to hear some of his new songs because that ment I wasn't the only person there who didn't know something.

I'm still trying to figure out how some of the individuals got front row seats. They looked to be college age, acting as if they were at a frat party. They almost stole the show. I couldn't help but watch them act like idiots. One particular guy and gal were dance close to the stage and my (close and close to erotic) and my eyes almost popped open when I saw her drop close to her knees in front of him, crotch level. I thought, "Holy hell people, every one of us can see, get a room!"

Elton John wore two different outfits. I was expecting more. I expected something flashy and sequin like. He came out with a long black overcoat which looked like Gingo Tree leaves on the back. For the encore he came out with a sweatsuit/pantsuit outfit with the word, "SuperSoul" on the back.

He had is band with him. The bass guitarist received a "boo" from the audience because he was unfortunate to come from Michigan. There's one thing to know about being in Ohio, there is a HUGE college football rivalry between University of Michigan and Ohio State University. The following day was the big game. You know that college football (Ohio State University football) is big when waiting for the concert to begin you hear the chant... "O-H--I-O." Some guy was nice enough to scream it in my ear on the way out. (The idiot). Btw - Ohio State did win the game. I watched the last 5 minutes. Michigan was up, but Ohio State made some very good plays at the end.

What else... the concert lasted for a full 3 hours. All Elton John. He had a back up group from Atlanta, Georgia. These individuals are on his new album and decided to take them on the tour. He takes the time to autograph items during the concert. I suspect this is done for two reasons, 1) for the fans, and 2) give the guys and himself a break from playing. Three hours is a long time. Believe me, my butt knows. It became numb half way through. Sure I could have stood and danced and what not, but being in the nose bleed section, I was afraid that I would fall forward if I stood.

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

No comments: