Sunday, August 13, 2006

Vacation Summary #2

I slept in the basement at home. It was the coolest place in the house, and also the messiest. The basement is our family's attic. Once upon a time, it was fairly clean. Considering much of what is downstairs is my stuff. When I moved into a small efficeincy apartment during graduate school I had to store all unnecessary items at my parents. That was four years ago. Since then I've graduated, moved to my sisters place, obtained a full-time job, moved to Ohio an into a bigger apartment and much of my belongings are still there. I swear I'm trying to discard many of the items. If my dad would let me. He's a back rat, and what can I say, I am my father's daughter. I hold onto things. But not last week. I did my best to either give items away, or throw them away. It's very hard to do that when my dad will "save" the items I'm trying to discard. I was 50% successful.
At least the basement is somewhat organized. (The librarian in me came out.) Dad uses discarded cardboard boxes to organize everything. Overtime, they just don't hold out at our place. A couple trips to Wal-Mart and I organized many "saved" items into see-thru shelving units and rubbermaid tubs. It looks so much better, but you can barely tell I made a dent in the basement.

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love putting things in boxes and piling them up.

Jeanne said...

hoeyqnzBig, plastic boxes with snap down lids that don't collapse when the dog tries to climb in among them, that is.

Jeanne said...

Oops, that was the word verification. God knows how that happened.

Aimless Chatter said...

We've had the problem of using cardboard boxes, piling them on top of each other and having the items in the bottom box flattened.

Sturdy plastic tubs with secure tops are the way to go.

Aimless Chatter said...

I personally hate the word verification, but I was receiving spam 10 - 12 comments at a time.