Thursday, February 24, 2005

Politics, Greed, and Love

My mindset has changed the couple of months I've lived in Ohio. My views on the world, nation, people, politics, and religion have altered. I used to think I had my views all straightened out and set. It's not like that anymore, and I don't believe they are suppose to be that way. I would hope that I'm mature enough to know that one's opinions can change depending on circumstances that occur in one's life, and fthe acts that are presented to them.

The 2004 election made me evaluate why I am a Republican. My values have both Republican and Democrat viewpoints. I believe in government programs, but they aren't the answer to everyone's strife. Putting more money into government programs is not going to necessarily help the poor. At least it won't help all poor. I have some religious values (more on that later) but I will agree to gay and lesbian marriage. I guess I'm more Independent now. But the day grass turns naturally purple is the day I will change my party affiliation to Democrat.

I voted for Bush. For the same reason that many people voted for Kerry. Anyone who doesn't like it, can get over it. Neither one was going to "save" this country. I've voted for politicians before based on the fact that I didn't want the other person to win. The person I voted for won, and the state became worse.

I think America needs the position leadership of the President, VP, Legislature, and the President's Cabinet if for the only reason is to give us someone to blame for our country's woes. We're all greedy. To some extent. Some more than others. I love my country and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but we can be a greedy nation. Sometimes I believe that's our downfall.

I've always been proud to be an American, and I was very proud to be an American when our love for mankind showed itself when the Tsunami devestated a land filled with strangers. We don't know those individuals. They don't know us. Love and kindness trumped greed as we helped any way we could. For most of us, it was with money. Some of us could only lift them up in prayers. It took a natural disaster in a foreign land to wake us up and show our love. We are filled with more than just greed.

No comments: