Sunday, February 13, 2005

I Hate Valentine's Day

Let's just get this one out of the way. I hate Valentine's Day. I've hated it for years, and for the very obvious reason... I have no boyfriend this time of the year. Yep, cynicism takes hold of my heart and mind during this time of year. Just to make this point clear, I am happy for those people who have a boyfriend or girlfriend. I'm not that mean. In my many years on earth (my age is b/w 25 and 30), I've only had one individual wish me happy V-Day that wasn't a family member. Going to school I remember the girls on my basketball team talk about what their boyfriends got them, or where they were going. Geez, I had the grand opportunity to go home and do homework.

Just to cheer myself up, I thought about buying my own bouquet of flowers. Something bright and cheery. It doesn't have to be roses. Too bad it's not tulip season. I love tulips.

Often times I think it's stupid the emphasis that is placed on Feb. 14th as Valentine's Day. I surely hope that couples express their love for one another on other days of the year. But then again, I guess Hallmark can't always have Valentine's Day cards for sale every day.

No comments: