Sunday, December 18, 2005

My bad side is coming out.

(My bad side is going to come out in this blog - at least some of it.)

I went to the neighborhood grocery store to buy a couple of things for my mom. There was a sense of relief when I pay for the items and I'm safely back in my car. No one stopped me to talk with them. My quick turn around the grocery aisle stopped me from coming face to face with Bernice. Safely diverted from a possible lengthy conversation.

I'm in my car, turn on the ignition and I see what I knew was coming... a former classmate. Every time I come home I see someone from school. Always. I can't get away from it. I never want to stop and chat. I don't care how rude that sounds.

It was Erin S. this time. Her last name has changed, but she'll always be Erin S. to me. Her mother was once my Kindergarten teacher. How such a nice person could raise such a brat is beyond me. Technically I wasn't around her too much in high school, other than being active in three sports, I was pretty much a hermit. I played volleyball with this girl. She wasn't bad. It's only her personality that's bad.

She seemed to usually have a sour look on her face, and would pretty much ignore you if you weren't in her circle of friends. Actually, if you weren't up to her standards. Whatever her standards were. She talked with me basically because I was on the same volleyball team with her.

So, I saw her pass my car as I was turning on the ignition. She's walking briskly just like high school, with her 10 year old son trying to keep up with her. When I told my dad I saw Erin S. at the grocery store, he sounded all happy with a... "O really, How is she?" I replied with a resounding, "I don't know dad, I didn't talk to her."

For some reason, I do not like running into my former classmates. I can think of maybe one or two that I wouldn't mind seeing. Since graduating high school, going away to college and then moving to Ohio, I come back to hometown and see this town in a whole new light. Some people never left this area, which is perfectly fine if this is where they feel home. But don't look down on us who left and never returned (except to spend time with our families). That's the feeling I get from some of the people here. Then the "let's compare our lives" game comes into play. My graduating class didn't have a 10 year class reunion. I wouldn't have gone anyways.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I feel the same way. The day after graduation I realized that I didn't want to see 99% of my graduating class ever again. Fortunately only a select few actually continued with some sort of post secondary, and thus, if I stay away from the Dollar Store or Walmart in my hometown, I can pretty much avoid all of them.