Thursday, October 26, 2006

Full Range of Emotions

I could not have been on a more cury, up and down roller coster of emotions as I have been the past 26 days. Sadness. Anger. Desperation. Pain. Happiness. Elation. Down Cast. My mom and my sister took my father to the hospital emergency room on October 1st and he's been in the hospital ever since. There's too much to describe what's happened to my dad in the past month to explain everything, but I think the phrase, "we almost lost him," covers the severity of his stay.

A gentleman called for my dad yesterday. He asked where he was. "He's in the hospital," I replied very manner of factly.

"He's still there!?" he replied.

Oh how much I wanted to say, "Yes he most certainly his. Coming close to death can keep you in the hospital for a long time."

The first week and half was the worst. His two daughter's and his wife were at his side 24/7 at the hospital. Having the night shift was a blessing and a curse. A blessing because the hospital has finally calmed down. The lights are dim and it's easier to get the nurses attention if you need something. A curse because it was my shift that dad seemed to get worse, and to gain some sleep during the day was impossible because all his friends and family would call for an update.

And oh how much I wanted to say, "Stop calling! I'm trying to sleep! Dad had only 46% in his blood, he's agitated, can't sleep and can't breathe well. I'm tired and fucking scared! Now let me cry my eyes out and go to sleep."

I'm the first to admit that I can't write too well when I'm emotional. Give me some time.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

We lost a parent this month. I'm glad yours survived. Things are just getting back to normal here.

Aimless Chatter said...

t,

I should proofread my posts. Yes, there was 46% oxygen in his blood. Which accounts for his stroke-like symptoms (slurred speech and short-term memory loss).

I have not been told of why dad's oxygen was as low as it was. I'm supposing it was due to an irregular heartbeat which did not allow the blood to flow well and messed up his oxygen levels.

Dad has sleep apnea as well. Once he had the oxygen in his system he then had the trouble to exhaling carbon dioxide out of his body. All this vital signs looked good (temp., heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen level) but the nurse felt that something was wrong. The rising of his chest was not normal and the nurse and I couldn't get a reponse from him. A blood gas test revealed his carbon dioxide level was much more above normal.

He was ventilated as soon as the gas test revealed this and he was immediately sent to the intensive care unit where the ventilator breathed for him until he was slowly taken off of it.

It wasn't until the doctors shocked his heart back into rhythm that Dad really started to get better. His kidneys started to operate better, his breathing was normal. Heart rate down.

He's currently in rehabilitation to strengthen his leg muscles. Dad contacted the polio disease as a teenager and it affected his hips and legs.

He's doing much better. Thank you for your thoughts.

consise10 said...

Wow ..Im sorry about what your father has endured..Its not easy.I hear your anger and Frustration.